The hill of Janículo or Gianicolo is one of the most important historical sites in Rome. It is a wonderful place to visit and explore when visiting Italy and Rome, but also a place that holds many secrets and hidden treasures.
Where is the hill of Janículo
Janiculum Hill is one of the seven hills of Rome. It stands on the Tiber River and has an elevation of 292 meters (957 ft). It is located northwest of the city center and extends into the Vatican City State.
The top of Janiculum Hill offers an amazing view of Rome. There are several ways to get up there: on foot via a staircase or by car with a private driver or taxi ride (which can be pricey). Once you get there, you’ll find plenty to do: visit San Pietro in Montorio Church or enjoy a picnic lunch at Villa Sciarra gardens.
Today, locals refer to it as “the green lung” because of its verdant landscape and parkland grounds—which makes sense given how much history goes on here!
The story of belvedere del gianicolo
The Janiculum hill has been a natural border between Rome and its neighbors for centuries. It was originally called Mons Janiculensis and was inhabited by the Samnites, an ancient pre-Roman tribe. The Samnites were defeated by Rome in the Second Samnite War (326 BCE), but they continued to live on the Janiculum until they were finally defeated by Rome and forced to leave in 289 BCE.
In 187 B.C., the Roman dictator Gaius Marius constructed a new aqueduct, which brought water from Lake Bracciano to Rome. This aqueduct crossed over the Janiculum hill on arches made from brick and stone. These arches are still visible today near San Pietro in Montorio, as well as at various other locations throughout Rome.
Once it was home to a castle built by the emperor Leo IV in 849 A.D. He wanted it to be his fortress for defense against attacks from Arab pirates who were terrorizing Rome at this time.
The name “Janículo” comes from the Latin word “Janiculum” which translates as “little gate” and refers to a gate that was located nearby on Via Aurelia Antica (now called Via Garibaldi). This gate led out onto the road that went up the hill towards Rome and served as an important access point for pilgrims traveling through town during medieval times when there were no other bridges across the river Tiber at this location yet built yet built until much later on in history when they were finally constructed after being planned by Pope Eugene IV in 1435 A.D.
The tower was built by Pope Paul V in 1614, who wanted to have a place for his private meditation and prayer. The area was named after the House of Pisano and has been used as a fortress since ancient times.